Parks & Recreation
Throughout the years, Galesville citizens contributed to the beauty of their city by creating an ambitious park system.

Cance Park

Both the "Square," located downtown Galesville, and Cance Park were set aside by Judge George Gale when he platted the village in 1854.  At that time, Cance Park was known as the "Upper Table Park."  It was completely renovated and renamed in 1986 in honor of John F. Cance, who endowed the City with a charitable trust in 1954 for beautification, education and charitable services within the City.

Four acres in size, the park contains an open picnic shelter with seating for about 36 people, electric outlets and public restrooms.  There is also a large playground area, two tennis courts and a basketball court.  The park covers a one block area between W. Ridge Avenue and W. Gale Avenue.  Look for the Zion Lutheran Church and St. Mary's Catholic Church.
 
Reception Park
Riverside Park was created in 1889 on the east side of town along the banks of the Beaver Creek by William Pierce.  Pierce donated the park to the village in 1891.  Galesville officials hoping to promote tourism by installing a landing pavilion for railroad passengers and a steamboat to provide rides along the adjacent lake, changed the park's name to Reception Park in 1892.  Then the baseball craze hit the area in about 1900, a playing field was added to Reception Park.

Six acres in size, this park is located in the southern sector of the community on W. Mill Road.  Included in the park is a lighted ball field, bleachers, announcer's booth, concession stand with picnic shelter, electricity, two volley ball courts, play area and public restrooms.
Arctic Springs/Fireman's Park
 
George Y. Freeman originally owned the the land known as Arctic Springs Park.  It has long been an informal gathering place as Freeman encouraged residents to use the area for relaxation.  The grave of Princess Marinuka, daughter of Winnebago Chief Winneshiek and granddaughter of "One Eyed" Decorah who had captured Black Hawk in 1832 is located on the grounds.  The village acquired the park grounds in 1921.  The Princess Marinuka monument was constructed shortly after that by the Galesville Tribe of Redmen.

Although the park is located outside the city limits, on County Road T, this five acre park plays an important role in meeting local recreational needs.  There is a large, open picnic shelter suitable for large groups and organized gatherings, electricity, charcoal grills, picnic tables and portable toilets.  The park is bordered by the Beaver Creek and a small pond with docks, both suitable for fishing.  There are two trout rearing ponds in the park which are maintained by the Galesville Volunteer Trout Club.  The Galesville Lions Club has constructed a walking trail which can be accessed via the park, the G-E-T Middle School or the Trempealeau County Fair Grounds.
High Cliff Park
Approximately five acres in size, located in the southeast side of the City, this park is a "show piece" park for it's natural beauty and nature observation.  This is a linear park along the east side of the Beaver Creek with a trail accessible at the south end via a suspension swinging bridge.  The north end of the trail is near the entrance of the Pine Cliff Cemetery.  Along the nature trail are cliffs, natural springs and a cave.  There is parking at the south end with picnic tables and BBQ grills available on both sides of the creek.

Additional Parks within the City:
  • Roadside/Horseshoe Park.  This park lies on both sides of Highway 53, the main highway through the City.  It has a gazebo over-looking Lake Marinuka as well as a horseshoe pitching area with six pits and picnic tables.
  • Ravine Park, located on the south end of the City.
  • Van Slyke Park, located across the street from City Hall
Other recreational activities include ice fishing and skating on Lake Marinuka, a warming house is available for use by the skaters, swimming at the public pool located behind the G-E-T High School and fishing and boating on Lake Marinuka.
 
 
Home | City Officials | Agendas, Meeting Notices & Minutes | City Departments | Parks & Recreation | Code of Ordinances | Winter Parking Regulations | Open Burning Regulations | City Financials | Calendar | Frequently Asked Questions | New Resident Information | Helpful Links | News | Employment | Elections | Contact Us | Web Site Map
Printer-friendly Version